I went into the living room last night to sit on our big exercise ball and bounce Grace to sleep. I was going to put in Sleeping Beauty - we've been watching it at bedtime in chunks all week. I decided to check what was on TV first. PBS during pledge time often has stuff I love. (Celtic Women, Celtic Thunder, etc..)
Last night was the 25th anniversary Les Miserables in concert. Unfortunately on the last song. The encore was awesome though... I wanted to cry. I think if it hadn't been for the antidepressants, I likely would have been bawling.
Because of the story? The music? Partially.
Mis is a reminder to me. Of the passionate dreams I had once upon a time. Of being carried away by the music in a way I seldom get to experience these days.
Performing has always been a catharsis for me- a way of expressing myself and pouring out my heart in a way writing cannot always express. I'm generally a very shy and quiet person, eager to not give offense and unwilling to share my own hurts and anxieties. But on stage... on stage I can let everything show. Performing, I have no fear. The little bits of me in a song or a role just take over.
I'm a horrible liar- I just can't. But I can act... Now that I consider it- how much of what I show people is an act? So often I still feel like a child trying to muddle my way through the big world, even though I'm the mother of two and in my late thirties.
I think some parts of me will always be that teenage girl belting out "On My Own," closing her eyes and seeing herself onstage. Sometimes- like last night- I miss that dream. I wonder how I could get some measure of the dream back- make something happen. But I know it won't- it can't.
The role I was meant for was not Eponine- but Brynn. There is far more need for me to do the laundry than for me to sing. Still I cannot let the dream die.
No comments:
Post a Comment